Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Pope issues sanctions against former West Virginia bishop

WASHINGTON (CNS) — The Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston announced July 19 sanctions from the Vatican — including taking away the faculties of celebrating Mass — against a former West Virginia bishop who stepped down last year under a cloud of allegations of sexual and financial misconduct.

In a posting on its website, https://dwc.org, the diocese said that retired Bishop Michael J. Bransfield can no longer reside in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, nor participate “anywhere in any public celebration of the liturgy” and has an obligation to make amends for “some of the harm he caused.”

The brief statement said the disciplinary measures were made based on the findings of an investigation but did not release details.

“The Holy See expresses its sincere concern for the clergy, religious and laity of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston,” the statement said.

The statement, released under the letterhead of the Apostolic Nunciature of the United States of America, references a “preliminary investigation into allegations of sexual harassment of adults and of financial improprieties” by Bishop Bransfield.

 

 

Copyright ©2019 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

 

Rhina Guidos

Catholic News Service is a leading agency for religious news. Its mission is to report fully, fairly and freely on the involvement of the church in the world today.

En español »